Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Sign Language with Ruth

15 May 2019

We were really lucky to have Ruth come into our class this week to give us a 'taster' session on New Zealand sign language. From the time Ruth stepped into the class she didn't speak - a very different experience for everyone. Using picture cues and modelling with her hands the class learned how to sign the letters of the alphabet and sign their own names. It was great learning how to sign simple greetings and ask questions such as, "Your name what?" and "You have animals what?" As Ruth explained to us all the 'little' words are not used when signing.

Kaycee spelling out her name. 



Rebekah masters the sign alphabet.



Flynn learning how to ask questions.


You can almost see Aaliyah's brain working!

3 comments:

  1. What a great life skill to learn!!!!
    I have enjoyed watching Rebekah showing us how to sign her name and simple words at home. She has even been trying to teach Ben his name. It has also sparked an interest with Charlotte who would like to learn sign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very fun to do because I got to learn my name and I did not no how to do it for a long time but then I just keep on learning and I just got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky! I would love to learn sign language too.

    ReplyDelete